Brought to you by Clear Arabia
France capped off a month of football fever as they defeated Croatia 4-2 to be crowned World Cup winners for the second time in the country’s history. The four weeks in Russia produced one of the best tournaments the game’s ever seen, with the introduction of VAR, a record number of penalties and huge upsets including Germany finishing bottom of group F. Didier Deschamps became only the third person ever to lift the World Cup as both a player and manager (joining Mario Zagallo, Franz Beckenbauer) as his France side brushed aside Croatia in a thrilling finale.
Here, we look back at the 64 Champion Performances from the 2018 World Cup.
64. Russia win the opening game of the tournament
- Antoine Griezmann scores against Australia
- Alfreð Finnbogason scores Iceland’s first ever World Cup goal as the minnows draw 1-1 with Argentina.
- Kasper Schmeichel puts in an inspired performance as Denmark defeat Peru 1-0.
- Luka Modric converts from the spot as Croatia see off Nigeria 2-0.
- Aleksandar Kolarov scores a wonder free-kick as Serbia get off to a winning start against Costa Rica.
- Hirving Lozano scores the winner as Mexico stun favourites Germany with a 1 – 0 win.
- A bullet header from Steven Zuber gives Switerland a surprise draw against Brazil.
- Andreas Granqvist goal is enough to take the points from South Korea in Sweden’s opening game.
- Dries Mertens hits a World Cup wonder volley as Belgium defeat Panama 3-0
- Harry Kane scores a brace to give England the lead against Tunisia including a last minute winner.
- A 90th-minute winner from Uruguay’s Jose Gimenez sees off Egypt.
- From homeless to World Cup for Iran’s Alireza Beiranvand.
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s stunning hat-trick gives Portugal a point against Spain in a 3-3 thriller.
Click here to see the Clear Arabia Champion Moments 50-42