Sethi says original team owners of now-defunct T20 Global League still have their rights
UAE businessman Ajay Sethi, who won the rights to own the Nelson Mandela Bay Stars team in the now defunct T20 Global League, said he plans to sue the South Africa cricket board after they announced plans for a new-look T20 tournament.
Cricket South Africa on Saturday decided to go ahead with a new T20 league in place of the T20 Global League and Sethi said he will look to put a stay on any such plans.
“We were waiting for them to make their final decision, which they did on Saturday. We are going to put a stay. We own the teams. We are going to seek legal judgment,” Sethi told Sport360 on Monday.
The T20 Global League was called off last year after the South African board failed to find sponsors or a broadcast deal. The new league is expected to feature six city-based teams.
“Financial losses are a separate matter. No T20 league can happen. You can’t have owners, finish the draft stage and change your stance because of a TV deal. And then have a new league. This is not business,” Sethi added.
The Channel 2 group chairman said he plans to initiate legal proceedings in a week or so.
“We are four or five owners at the moment, so most are in support of us. We will see within a week or 10 days that legal action will be taken,” he added.